Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Craters of the Moon

We took a drive out to Craters of the Moon National Monument. Throughout the day we hiked and explored caves. Overall we hiked a little more than three miles, with the first .5 mile being almost straight up a black mound called Inferno Cone. Braden and Alex hiked/ran together while Mo and I enjoyed the climb. Along the way Mo said, "This is much steeper than I imagined, but the view is incredible."



Braden used the .5 mile hill as a warm up for the rest of the day. He proudly told us as we returned to the car, "I'm a hiker. Let's go explore some more."



For miles all you could see was lava fields... in the middle of Idaho! It doesn't sound all that pretty, but is truly amazing to be in the middle of it all. As you go along, there are caves and tunnels that can be explored. Lichen grows on some of the rocks, which adds some neat color. You grow to really appreciate the beauty of the rocks themselves.




Braden and Alex dropped into a steep cave. It was probably 30 degrees cooler where they were compared to looking up where Mo and I were waiting. Braden was really impressed by all the green coloring he found on the rocks down below.


At the end of the day, both Braden and Morgan crashed in the backseat of the car. It really was a great end to a really fun weekend.




4 comments:

Kirsti said...

I love you guys! Kristy, you're a babe! Braden, awesome guitar t-shirt. Mo, where do you come up with this stuff? Alex, you're a lucky guy. Logan and Amira, how's it going? We need an update on you two too! :)

Ben said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. You're regular explorers now, with Antelope now the Craters. Any one up for Timp?

Alex and Kristy said...

Timp... Holy crap! By helicopter? Have you seen me recently. 290 lbs. I look like Timp.

Kirsti said...

Just wanted to let you know Carson got his postcard from Craters of the Moon and LOVED it. Thanks for thinking of him.